Tuesday 16 April 2013

Blocks and Shuttlecocks



 Basketball and Badminton were the activities this Monday. In the past attendance has been sparse. But a enthusiastic drive by us new receptionists (the regime of keen) meant that this week Kelsey Kerridge sports hall was packed to bursting.  Twenty students turned up, raring to go.


Ricardo pulls up his trousers, a metaphorical and literal expression of his determination to get to work in the post. 


I wasn't the only one documenting this record turnout. Pakin Santanan knew high quality hoopsmanship when he saw it.



Spotting up in the corner for the short three, or getting ready to drive hard to the rack. Studio students can ball.



Lucas drives hard past his brother Matheus.


While Camilo, a veteran of Studio ball, tries out some smack talk. "This is my house!" he potentially screamed.


There was badminton, if one could tear oneself away from the beauty that was basketball.


I could, but only for a couple of photos.


Then it was back to the good stuff. Romulo leaping for the massive block.


The king of sports at its most glorious. Bringing people together, united in exertion, atop the magical hardwood.




Matheus takes the long jumper.


The Thai girls brush the hair from their eyes in order to focus, so in tune as a team that they do even that in unison.



The uncertainty as the students grapple for position.


As LeBron said:

“Ask me to play. I'll play.
Ask me to shoot. I'll shoot.
Ask me to pass. I'll pass.
Ask me to attend all my lessons, go on excursions, pay my accommodation on time, make the most of my cultural experience, learn English.
ANYTHING.

But it's not what you ask of me.
It's what I ask of myself."

Inspirational stuff. 



No comments:

Post a Comment